Plantations and Pens
The Dawkins family possessed a number of plantations and pens throughout the period of British West Indian slavery. The former being used for the production of sugar and rum, whilst the latter were used to rear livestock for powering the sugar mills and consumption. These holdings were primarily located in Jamaica’s central parish of Clarendon, although a small number were situated in the neighbouring parishes of St. Thomas-in-the-Vale and St. Catherine. The map of Jamaica below shows the ten estates that were held by the family just after the legal termination of slavery, in 1835/6. Please see the key below the map for the corresponding names and details for each holding.